Thursday, September 11, 2008

What's the Deal? And Sparkly Angels

What is the deal with sleepovers in the first grade? The princess is invited to one this weekend and we said NO. She will go to the party and we will pick her up around 9:00. Am I really supposed to hand my child over to someone I don't know for an entire night? At 6 years old? I don't think so...And, I found out I'm not the only one who feels this way. She informed me yesterday that she was really embarrassed by our decision until she found out that most of the girls would be picked up also. So what's your stance?

I also wanted to share this cute thing the g-monkey said to me last night. I was brushing my teeth in the girls bathroom (I'm not sure how my toothbrush ended up in there, but that's where it was so...) and I could hear them talking. G said she was scared of the dark and the ghosts. The princess informed her that ghosts aren't real but angels are and they are watching over them. So, I jump in thinking this is a great teaching moment. We talk about angels and pray the Gaurdian Angel prayer together. I tuck G in and tell her goodnight and she says - "Mommy, I still can't sleep. My angel is too sparkly and it is too bright in my face." Seriously, what can you say to that?

4 comments:

Blessings from the Reeds said...

That is sooooo darn cute! You have to tell her about what she said when she gets older. Cute!

About sleepovers, I am with you!My daughter was invited when she was in the first grade and we did the same. Drop off and pick up later. I just think that is pretty early age to start this but I guess others see it different.

SG said...

First grade is way too young in my book. K did not start staying over until the end of 2nd and that once with a friend we go to church with who we have known for 20 years.
We always picked up around 9 in 1st, then at 10 in 2nd , then 11 in third... But by the end of third grade K was ready to sleep over BUT only if I knew the parents really well! We also have an understanding that K can call us any time day or night to come get her is she is not comfortable in a situation with no gripes from us at all. I wanted that established very early on. So I've gone to get K at 1am from a friends house more than once... with NO gripes!
Now K is in 5th. We are still at the "only if my parents know your parents" stage for slumber parties and sleepovers and it's not an issue.

Vanessa said...

I think we all agree here.....sleepovers ONLY if YOU know the parents, not that your child knows the other child well.
We can never be too careful. If we are seen as too overprotective......oh well!

I think the sparkly angel thing is precious.

The Waco Newmans said...

with you on the sleepover thing.. its come up several times with our daughter and she has yet to stay all night (she's in 4th!!) and I can tell you she wasn't the only one even last year that didn't stay all night... amanda